Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tired Just Thinking About It

Oh no. Was I supposed to be doing something about me? I totally forgot to put it on the calender. OK, if I am being honest, taking care of me is both first and last on my list. I must take my meds, I must sleep, and I must avoid exercise at all cost. Wait, did I type that out loud? Take my meds and sleep so that I can care for my family, eat healthy food so my children will have a good example to base eating habits on, and completely flake on the fitness thing. Yep that's me. It wasn't always me though.
It has become apparent that I surround myself with folks who do not share my current wimpy ways. I am surrounded by runners, cyclists, and triathletes. According to what folks are telling me and posting on FB pretty much everyone I know is on some sort of a training program, even ballet and yoga. So where did my motivation go? For nearly twenty years I considered myself a dancer, but that was nearly fifteen years ago. Since then I have found all sorts of love for different sorts of exercise but it occurs to me that what I don't have is the sense of community that I once had.
Part of the problem is I live in an area that struggles with being a community at all. Its called "In a Pocket Between Places" and good luck finding "community" in a place that really has no place. I would love to have a buddy to exercise with but my bizarre neighbors get up a 5AM (HELL NO) to do a video or run together in the evening. Which brings me to my next problem. What about all of us moms who can hardly sneeze without crossing our legs? Where is the super cool race that has thirty-five porta potties along the 5K so no one coughs by accident and pees a little? My body can not take high impact the way it used to, lets just say that.
The reason for this little rant? Other than listening to everyone go on and on about how great they feel getting in shape and blah blah blah (I'm not hostile, really) is that it has become very apparent that I am terribly, terribly out of shape in the past few days. First reminder was pushing Ben in his stroller. Yes the thing is an ancient hand me down that saw better days years ago, but still, the kid weighs 54lbs. and it was barely a hill and I was barely talking AND I GOT OUT OF BREATH. Second, Ben was sick this week and lethargic enough that he couldn't walk. So I carried him. And got very, very tired. Like I said, he only weighs 54lbs. What am I going to do when he is bigger and can't walk? No excuses now, got to get this ass in gear. And these arms and these legs and this gut... Man, tired just thinking about it...

No comments: