Thursday, March 27, 2008

Two Steps Back, One Step Forward

Well, he did it. I say he because when it comes right down to it, all the coaching and pushing and pulling and reminding and blah, blah ,blah doesn't mean a thing if the boy doesn't do the work. So he did it. The threat of medical intervention to deal with his spasticity has been removed. His range of motion has greatly improved in his heals, quads and aductors as well as a few other muscles that I can't come up with the names for but by golly know how to stretch and strengthen them! We took the two steps back to retrain muscles away from bad habits and came away with greater strength, increased flexibility and unfortunately a much more wobbly gate. Turns out that if you attempt to re-teach a child to walk correctly they actually have to learn how to walk again. So we have a wobbly but much better gait pattern that is improving daily. Sounds good to me. Ben even agreed that he would keep working hard when the doctor asked. Then gave her a hug and told her he loved her. This is something Kiera said to me today when she was trying not to lay down for her nap: "Mama, I have to go find my Elmo before I go to bed. He is out here but it's OK you can stay there. I'll be right back." I need to get this stuff on tape. Her Doc just doesn't believe that she is conversational. What you should never say while holding the hand of a child of any ability: "He's just different" Not to people you know, not to strangers, not to other children. A child should never hear himself spoke of as an object that needs explaining. Never.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Congrats Shannon to both you and Ben! Keep working hard. These kids will continue to amaze us.