Friday, September 12, 2008

Thats More Like It

There is a light at the end of this tunnel. Monday morning Ben will get on a typical bus where there will be a "Star Seat" providing 5 point restraint and a bar mounted to tie down the walker during transport. I will be boarding the bus to get him seated and I will be boarding the bus to get him off in the evening. The bus will stop at the end of my driveway on it's drive past my house. He will ride with his peers, get on and off with his peers and have a day equal to every other Kindergartner in the district. It would have been much easier for everyone if they had done exactly this when I requested it before school started. Please stop telling us no. Beyond all of glaringly appalling parts of this experience, the situation is changing and being supported by everyone from his teacher to the superintendent. They have all fought for my little man and I will be making banana bread for the next week to show some of my appreciation. I will not, however, ignore the fact that this was allowed by the same people who are now fighting for us. It's amazing what the word discrimination can motivate people to accomplish. Another reminder that while this isn't an easy fight, it's a good one. Stand tall for the little people you protect everyone. Thanks for all of the kind words!

6 comments:

MMMom said...

ITA why wasn't this option offered in the first place? It is like everything is a big secret until you raise a fuss. Then, they tell you a few words of the secret to satisfy you until the next problem comes up. Errrr! We have enough to deal with without all of this BS. I am glad to hear it was resolved so quickly. WTG!

Anonymous said...

Cool! How about an update of how it went?

Anonymous said...

Way to go Shannon!

Heike Fabig said...

Indeed.Finally! That's better.

By the way, i gave you a "Sharing the Love" blog award. See http://rollercoasterparenting.blogspot.com/2008/09/awards.html

Melanie said...

Well I am glad you got what your son deserves. It is very infuriating when the schools try to pull fast ones on us. But the best is when we catch on and prove to them we are not pushovers and we will fight for our children.

Seems you have been getting a lot of awards this week! I gave you one too...stop by our blog to get it when you have time!

Love your blog!

Sam said...

yay aunt shannon! you tell em!! love yall and miss everyone! give everyone hugs and kisses from me!