Monday, March 3, 2008

Problem Solved

Here I am, in the midst of inches of beautiful new snow. And we can't play in it. That's Michigan's trick you see. It gives you snow, you get maybe one day to play in it then it does one of two things 1)turns to muddy slop or 2)becomes so blasted cold outside that you are actually being mean if you take your kids out. This time it was choice 2. Something like 18 degrees outside. Then I remembered! I was a fun mom last winter! I had heard from a friend, I think it was Billie, that she brought snow inside to play with so I filled a bucket with snow and put it on the kitchen floor.






Having remembered this I ran to the garage (I have to run there is no telling what my kids will do while I'm gone), dug through the boxes that won't allow me to park in there and brought up the water table. Buckets and all. Brought in a few shovels of snow and presto! snow to play with. Problem solved. Kids get to play with snow, I get to skip the whole getting kids dressed thing, anyone can pee anytime they like AND I get to stay warm. After a good pat on the back I realized that they are not loving it like I am. Oh they came and gave it a good looking at, Kiera ate the snow off of a sand toy, Ben even picked up a shovel WITH A FROWN ON HIS FACE. What is this! I have actually brought a mess into the house MYSELF. You would think that they would have jumped at the chance to go nuts. But no. Then they answered the question themselves "It's too cold mama." Ohhhhhh. Mittens! I forgot mittens. So I found some mittens (no small task) and yep, problem solved! Warm hands and fun were had by all. That is until they asked for ice and Kiera got a piece stuck to her lip (only partly my fault) and then ripped a bit of skin off (totally not my fault).





As a quick side note-it is very hard to get fun pictures when your counters have dishes all over them and your daughter has decided that "nakey bottom" is the way to be. Also note the sad pathetic dog who is pouting because what fell out of the table was just really cold water.

4 comments:

Lijy said...

nice pictures...

Sparx said...

This is an absolutely bloody brilliant idea! I love it! Shame we never have snow but you know, we do go to Calgary for Christmas some years and I hope I remember this... you are a genius!

Heike Fabig said...

Wonderful. I grew up (in Europe) with the white stuff (but, thankfully, not those temperatures) but my kids (7, 5 and nearly 2) have never ever seen snow. They know of its existence through books, but have no idea how cold it is...

Angela said...

Very, very nice idea! I am laughing out loud about trying to get good pics but hiding the counters and a nakey bottom!!! Totally sounds like my house. You get an A++++ on carrying out your idea to bring the fun in!!!